This particular rifle is officially known as a Model 1841 Robbins and Lawrence Contract Percussion Rifle.
It became known as the "Mississippi Rifle" as it was used with great success by a regiment of Mississippians commanded by Jefferson Davis during the Mexican War.
The Model 1841 rifle is regarded by many weapons experts as one of the most handsome of all percussion cap system firearms. The M1841 was the first regulation rifle made in the percussion ignition system at the national armories.
In 1855, just prior to the Civil War, 8,879 of these M1841 weapons (of all contractors) were altered and re-bored to .58 caliber. Improved long-range rear "ladder sights" were added. Their brass tipped ramrods were replaced by an all steel type with an exaggerated trumpet head profile to accommodate .58 caliber ammunition. Most of which were re-worked and altered by Harpers Ferry Armory and Springfield Armory; c. 1855-1860.
Now then... This particular rifle was manufactured by Robbins and Lawrence. Dated 1849, Windsor, Vt., which is found on the lock plate.
To wit, this specimen speaks volumes to it's Confederate usage as it retains the original .54 caliber bore, to utilize standard .54 Confederate ammunition. The rifle has not been Yankee arsenal re-bored to use standard .58 Yankee ammo.
This particular rifle retains it's original brass tipped, cupped/concave ramrod that measures to fit the .54 caliber round as well.
Furthermore, the rifle sports it's original "V" notch block rear site, and has not been converted by Federals with the long-range "ladder sight."
The Walnut wood is in wonderful shape with ordinary war usage. This one saw action. The original brown lacquer barrel is beautiful, as is all the brass furniture, complete with resplendent patina. Not to neglect to mention that cartouches and proof markings are matching and bountiful.
And if that isn't enough, here is the rest of this rifle's history. Incredibly, inside the rifle's patch box are "double" Confederate soldier's markings.
First, on the inside of the side plate of the patch box, is the definite period inscription, "S.C. 4", which has been viewed by many experts, and agreed this is for the 4th South Carolina.
To top that, along the upper sideplate is a period inscription of "C.S." which looks to be followed by a faint "A." Simply incredible, legitimate period markings.
We know that Robbins and Lawrence manufactured 15,000 of these rifles - of which, 2,000+ were stored at the Baton Rouge Louisiana Arsenal and were released at the Civil War's start.
Considering all this information, this leaves little doubt to this rifle's usage by the Confederate Army.
The condition is Very Good - Fine . At some point years ago, the forearm has had a repair. This is veritably indiscernible unless looking directly for it. Also, both sling strap loops have been removed. Presumably customized by the soldier. This mentioned for accuracy and exactness.
Folks, here's your chance to own a Confederate used rifle without spending $10,000+. A specimen that simply resounds of Dixie and would make a wonderful addition to any collection.